Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Blueberry oatmeal cream cheese whole wheat muffins

Yesterday a friend and I went blueberry picking and had a great time. I grew up on a 45 acre blueberry farm and can never get enough of them :)


Yesterday at the farm and then when I got home I ate and ate and ate them.. today I wanted to make something with them.  One of my favorites is blueberry muffins... but I wanted to try something a bit different.  I took the basic muffin recipe I have always used from Fannie Farmer cookbook and switched things up a bit and I love them!

Basic recipe copied from the book          My recipe

2 cups white flour                                    1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour + 1/2 cup oatmeal*
1 Tablespoon Baking powder                  1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/2 tsp salt                                               1/2 tsp salt
2 Tablespoons sugar                                No sugar **
1 egg slightly beaten                                 1 egg slightly beaten
1 cup milk                                                1 cup water
1/4 cup melted butter                                1/2 banana mashed + 1/4 cup homemade
                                                                applesauce 2 Tablespoons cream cheese

blueberries to taste

*I put the oatmeal in the food processor so it was like flour... next time I think I will use right out of the sack.
** these were plenty sweet for me.. but I bet they would be good with a little honey in there.

Mix the dry together then add the water, egg, banana, applesauce and cheese....  mix lightly.. you want it all lumpy... gently mix in blueberries, I added just under 2 cups. Scoop into cupcake pan (I filled about 3/4 full + a little )  bake for about 25 minutes at 350 degrees.

1 comment:

  1. Michelle,,,these look amazing...in fact they almost make me want to "bake" LOL....You had me at the title...:)

    ReplyDelete