Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Banana Chocolate Nut Bread



I needed a little snack today... well I had some bananas that were going to go to waste if I did not do something with them.. I am also having a really hard time not baking these days... eating healthy does not include new baked goods everyday.... at least not until I am able to find some healthy things to bake. I did decide to go ahead and make this one loaf of banana bread since with all the kids in the house I will be lucky to get one piece before it is all gone.

I took two large really ripe bananas and mashed them up with two eggs. I mixed in 3/4 cup of sugar and a teaspoon of baking soda. A small pinch of salt and 2 cups of flour. I added some very fine cut walnuts and a sprinkle of chocolate chips.

I greased the inside of the baking can ( a recycled baked beans can) and filled it just over half way full. Baked it at 325 for just over an hour.


I love using the recycled bean cans because it makes round loaves and they are just a lot more fun. I used the family size can.. it will make one loaf.. you can also use the smaller size cans and make personal loaves ( these are great as gifts) Do be sure to use the lowest rack in the oven as it will rise out of the top of the can.. and you need to bake it a little lower for a little longer to get the middle done. Easy way to get it out of the can is to just use the can opener to open the bottom and slide a knife around and it will come right out.

1 comment:

  1. That is the coolest baking idea I have ever seen! The bread looks delish!

    ReplyDelete