Thursday, March 25, 2010

Peach Cobbler

My oldest son moved out last week.. and he had been hinting a few weeks ago about how long it has been since I had made any peach cobbler.... so today when he showed up to pick up a few things he had forgotten... I had a pan cooling on the stove for him.... He was so excited and I got the biggest hug :)

First I layer the peaches.. or any fruit... in the bottom of an 8x8 baking pan

8x8... lol yeah right... we always double it and make a 9x13...at least

Then sprinkle the sugar and cinnamon on... how much depends on the fruit and how sweet you want it.

Set that aside and mix up the topping.

This part is from the Fannie Farmer cookbook that I grew up cooking from and love more than anything.

Cottage pudding for an 8x8 pan

1.5 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar

mix that together well then mix in
1/4 pound of very soft butter.

mix until it is crumbly looking.. then form a bowl in the mixture.. into the bowl put
1/2 cup of milk
1 egg
mix those two things together until the egg is well beaten then mix into the dough

drop by big spoon fulls onto the fruit... does not need to be even or "nice looking"


bake at 375 for 25 minutes or until the top is just starting to brown and the tooth pick poked in the middle comes out clean.

after it has baked and cooled slightly.... be warned.. the fruit will be hotter than the cake.... you can cut or scoop some out.. flip it over so the fruit is on top.. and enjoy it as is.. or with a little cream.

I love this recipe because of all the things you can do with it.. you can make just the cottage pudding cake.. eat it by itself.. or you can use ANY kind of fruit... and you can use it with a LOT of fruit... a little fruit... mixed fruit... it is so good! I also love it because I grew up with mom making it.. and then her teaching me to make it and I made it for my kids and taught them how to make it... lots of memories when I make this cake and when we eat it. My kids have always called it Berry Cake!

4 comments:

  1. I love peach cobbler! I just bookmarked this recipe to try :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Peach Cobbler is soooooo delicious any time of the year. Can't wait to try this. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your peach cobbler looks tempting and delicious! Can't wait to try.

    I'm hosting the Culinary Smackdown Battle for March--the theme is Cookies. Would you like to join in for the fun? It doesn' have to be a new post on your blog. You can pick your favorite cookie from your previous post too. All you have to do is link up your cookie creation. I have some great prizes waiting. Hope to see your entry soon!

    Amy
    http://utry.it/2011/03/culinary-smackdown-battlecookies.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, is there anything so comforting as peach cobbler? I've always enjoyed it. Thanks for linking this up to Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete