Thursday, November 18, 2010

Sour Cream Sugar Cookies in Candy Cane Sprinkles



This is my favorite sugar cookie recipe... well one of them! This one is really easy and always taste great.

Mix together

1/2 cup ( one cube ) softened butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup white sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla *you could add a little dash of peppermint too if you wanted*
1 egg

add in
2 2/3 cup flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt

I put it in the fridge for a little bit ( while I get the sprinkles ready ) just to make it a little easier to handle.

Today I took a half dozen candy canes and put them in the food processor until they were just short of a powder. I then added a little bit of red sugar sprinkles for color. I poured some onto a plate to roll the cookies in.

I took the dough from the fridge and made small balls ( they will almost double ) with it which I then pressed into the sprinkles, flattening with my fingers. This covers one side and leaves the bottom sprinkle free, I like the way they cook this way. You could also drop by spoon onto the cookie sheet and then using the bottom of a glass you have dipped in the sprinkles to flatten the dough with.

Bake at 350 for about 7 minutes, you want to catch them just before they start to brown.

These are also great with Valentine sprinkles or just in plain sugar too :)

Today I made these for Valentines day... patted them out and used a heart shaped cookie cutter.... then tried the butter cream recipe from java cupcakes to frost them. They are so good! I am not used to decorating anything, having as many kids as I did it was about how many I could make and how fast.. they could eat them faster than I could cook them.. and they could care less what they looked like. So I need a bit more ( ok a lot more  ) practice with my decorating.





~Michelle

1 comment: