Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Short Bread Thumb Print Cookies

Today a friend on facebook was making banana bread and I really felt the need to bake something... but... there were no bananas in the house.. so I decided to make some cookies... I have many different shortbread cookies that I make and today I made the thumb print ones (which I use the back of spoon and not a thumb to make the print with)

I could not decide what to put in the print on these so I did a couple of different ideas.

These have chocolate melted into the print with walnuts sprinkled on top


These have a homemade coffee frosting in them


These have the same coffee frosting with chocolate drizzled over the top


cookie recipe

1 cup soft butter
1/2 cup confectioners sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix really well.. until it is almost like fluffy

mix together

2 cups flour ( all purpose )
1/4 tsp baking powder

then add to the butter mixture and mix well

roll into small balls.. size depends on size you want your cookies.
put a "thumb print" in each one.. I use the back of the teaspoon for this.

bake at 350 for about 8 minutes... you don't want the edges to start turning brown but you want the cookie to be firm enough to move.

For the chocolate ones... as soon as they came out of the oven I filled each print with about 4 or so chocolate chips then slipped the pan back in the oven for just a minute... pulled it out and used a toothpick to swirl the chocolate then sprinkled the nuts on top.

For the coffee ones I took them off the cookie sheet and then let them cool... when they were cooled I mixed up the frosting

soften two tablespoons of butter
add in about a cup of confectioners sugar
mix it really well and then add the coffee ( instant dissolved in a tablespoon of hot water.. or... I used the tea bag coffee and made one in an inch of coffee and made it really really strong. Don't add all the coffee to the frosting. You want it thick.

I spooned the frosting into the cookies... then I took a small dropper and in the center of each frosting pile I dropped a drop of the coffee...and swirled it with a tooth pick.. if one was talented they could make some really fun designs.. I am not there yet.

For adding the chocolate drizzle I just melted some chocolate chips or could use the almond bark in the microwave.. slowly and then scooped it into a sandwich bag.. cut a tiny hole in the end and squeezed it on there.




These all taste great...and people seem to love them.. they are not great for packing up and mailing or sending home with friends though.. so everyone has to come over for some :)

Michelle

PS thank you to Dave for the new camera.. I am having so much fun with it :)

10 comments:

  1. Oh MAN those look good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks.. I love them... trying really hard to save some until the family all gets home :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was just about to ask you for the recipe on face book. You're inspiring me to turn my bitching about life blog into an in the kitchen blog. I can't wait to see what else you'll share!
    Love the layout too=-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lanee... I think you should do it... I am having so much fun.. I love my wine charms and making jewelry.. but I really love being in the kitchen... not sure how to make that into money but I am working on some ideas :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I made some whoopie cookies and chocolate butter cream frosting last night and people suggested that I sell them online, but I don't feel like trying that with anything else right now. You could become the cookie lady and charge all the adults that knock on your door for cookies lol

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really want to know what whoopie cookies are... lol I am afraid to know. I thought about that and I see lots of people selling candy and cookies online.. but I think it would involve a lot to do it right.. and well.. i also think that would take most of the fun out of it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can just tell that these are melt in your mouth cookies~YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my! This is the kind of cookie that I can sit and eat way too many of them and still want more =o) They look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous2/13/2012

    I know the yield will depend on how big you make them, but approximately how many does it make? I am wondering if I need to double this recipe for an office party.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would double them.... I am not really sure how many they make.. it is has been awhile...and it does really depend on the size you make them... you can make these from tiny small bite to multiple bite size.. but.. they do always go very fast and they are very good and easy enough to make. I would guess a single batch would make 3 dozen or so of medium size cookies

      Delete