Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Easy Taco Pie

Ingredients:
1 can of Crescent Rolls
1 lb lean ground beef
1 8 oz container of sour cream
1 8 oz pkg of finely shredded mild Cheddar cheese
1 pkg taco seasoning (dry)
½ pkg water (use taco seasoning package)
½ bag crushed tortilla chips


Spray a pie plate with cooking spray. Line the pie plate with the Crescent Rolls, making sure to overlap. Fill any gaps and bring up to edge. Sprinkle with half the tortilla chips.

Brown and drain beef. Add Taco Seasoning and water. Simmer for 10 minutes.

Top crescent rolls and chips with meat mixture. Top with sour cream and shredded cheese and the remaining tortilla chips.

Bake in a 350 degree oven for 20-25 minutes.

Serve with extra sour cream, salsa, or salsa con queso and shredded lettuce, tomatoes, or other toppings of your choice.



Lenore's notes:
My sister-in-law gave me a ceramic pie plate for Christmas this year and the cardboard label had this recipe on the back. Credit: Good Cook Oven Fresh Stoneware.

When I first read the recipe, all I could think was “Oh my, cholesterol pie!” I think that with some basic modifications, you could bring the fat content way down.

I tried the recipe as written and it's really quite good. The pie did not get as hot as I expected it to get, but that might be because 8 ounces of sour cream is a lot. Next time I try this recipe, I will probably reduce the amount of sour cream. I may also use a mix of cheeses instead of just cheddar cheese. Lo-fat sour cream, crescent rolls, and cheese would help to reduce the fat content, I think.


~Lenore.

4 comments:

  1. This sounds so good.. I think I would add a bunch of veggies... diced tomatoes and some corn and onions and bake that in too.. would have to make it without the sour cream and just offer that on the side with the lettuce... I am adding this to my list of must try. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I like your modifications! Yes to veggies in the pie (maybe some kidney beans as well?) and leave the sour cream for on the side. Going to try it that way next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. kidney beans...maybe some black beans... Could even use turkey or buffalo meat or even shredded chicken....that would make it healthier too and it would still be good... I can't wait to try this :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made taco pie again! This time I sautéed some onion and added it to the beef. I also added some kidney beans. And just for good measure I heated up some refried beans and spread that on top of the meat mixture when I was layering the ingredients in the pie plate. I used "lite" sour cream and only half of what the recipe called for. I also used half the cheese the recipe called for and it was still very tasty.

    The biggest problem I have with this recipe is that I am very clumsy unrolling the crescent rolls.

    ReplyDelete