Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Peanut Butter Cookies



This is to share my favorite recipe for peanut butter cookies, easy and simple.. and while I am at it I am going to share with you one of my very favorite cook books.. a cookie cook book. This is the book I learned to cook from, it is old and falling apart.. I have written in it and spilled on it and taught my children to make cookies from it. Betty Crocker's Cooky Book. My copy is from 1973 but you can still buy it.. right from Betty Crocker's website I pick them up every time I see them at garage sales or thrift stores or anywhere. I am sure that over the years I have made every recipe at least once and most of them a lot more than that.





Now for the recipe:

1/2 cup shortening ( half butter or margarine)
1/2 cup peanut butter
1/2 cup of granulated sugar
1/2 cup of brown sugar ( packed )

1 egg
1 and 1/4 cup flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

mix this shortening, peanut butter, sugar and egg thoroughly. Mix in the dry ingredients and chill dough. I roll them into a small ball and either use a fork dipped in sugar to make a criss cross pattern on them or I roll them in balls and press into crushed peanuts until flattened. I bake at about 350 for about 10 minutes. Sort of depends on if I am feeling like soft or crisper cookies. below shows how to double the recipe.. lol I used to have to at least double it when all the kids lived here.



~Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment